Friday, November 19, 2010

Its all just so complicated...

I had a conversation the other day with Cool Dude about life. He has his all planned out. I do not. Awesome. He has dated someone for 5 years. I have not. Great. He has his wedding planned. I do not. Sweet. He is 14. I am 24. Yay.

His plan is to have all the people he loves live on one street. He also wants us to all marry each other. I love the way this boy thinks. I mean, it makes sense, right? Having all the people you love in one place...brilliant. I had to break his little heart though and inform him I would not be marrying another (male) teacher from where I work and he is a student. Our conversation went like this:

CD: Well if not him, another boy?
Me: Well, probably not...I'll probably marry a girl.
CD: So you are a boy?!
Me: Noooo, I'm a girl.
CD: But you have to marry a boy then.
Me: Well sometimes girls marry boys, and sometimes boy marry boys, and sometimes girls marry girls.
CD: Ugh its all just so complicated.

Poor guy. It is so complicated. But its only complicated because our society teaches little kids that it is complicated. Mind you, Cool Dude has your typical western mass hippie parents that don't care who marries who. But he watches a ton of movies and in every one the girl and the guy end up together.

Some of my kids do get it though. This past summer we were talking about families and one of the little boys told the group he had two mommies. I held my breath thinking a ton of questions where about to be thrown at this little guy but then another student said, "Lucky! Moms are the coolest and you get two!" Ah, the beauty of their logic.

Cool Dude will be okay though, he said as long as he can get married first and I come to his wedding and say, "congratulations" he doesn't care who I marry. I'm 99.9% sure I can promise both those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment